The standard you hold for strangers should match the one you hold for yourself, so it’s important to present yourself how you expect others to. This way of thinking will make sure you are always confident and well-prepared for any situation.
Keeping a clean and fresh appearance is the first step to becoming the man of the moment. Grooming can include anything that keeps you clean like shaving, showering, and skincare.
Let’s jump into the different grooming methods and why you should care about the way you present yourself to the world.
Why Grooming Should be a Necessity
The thing is, your looks can be a deciding factor for a win or lose. Someone who seems well put together is more likely to come out on top than a guy who isn’t. How you carry yourself affects the way people perceive you as well as your general health and well-being. Want to know why? We’ll explain further below.
The manner you present yourself in your work environment, whether it’s in the office or at home, affects your motivation and output. Dressing for success creates a mental state that prepares you to get more work done.
Your boss is more likely to give promotions to employees who not just complete their tasks well, but also look the part. This is probably because your public image is also a representation of the company. Whether it be work pants, slacks, or even dress pants, dressing to match your work environment shows your dedication to your job.
Your appearance at home and in social circles determines your aura and image. People are more likely to approach and socialize with you if you are well-groomed. It’s a bonus if you smell good. Dressing well and making sure your body is clean and fresh will make you more pleasant to be around. Your family and friends can take pride in you being well put together and will want to spend more time with you.
As we mentioned, if you expect a certain level of refinement from others, then you should expect the same from yourself. By holding yourself to high standards, you show the world the respectable man that you are.
Male Grooming: The Complete Guide
Grooming for men takes more than just a shower and a quick shave. It’s also easy to take things too far and have the opposite effect. There are multiple steps required in different areas of cleanliness to make sure you’re looking your best self.
Trimming Your Beard
Facial hair can either be a chore or a blessing. Some go for a classy and chic look with a well-trimmed mustache, while others prefer looking like a burly lumberjack. Nonetheless, the beard frames the face and provides a natural contour that can either hide a feature or make it stand out.
Getting a beard can be awesome, it can be sexy even, but you want to keep it under control. Trimming can make sure that it will look neat and tidy even with some length.
There are a few essentials you need to prepare for a trim. You’ll need a gentle soap, a comb, scissors, and a razor. Beard oil, balm, or conditioner is also used as a finisher. It’s ideal to do your trimming in the bathroom sink. This way, you don’t have any distractions causing you to mess up the process, and your mess stays in a manageable area.
Once you have all the tools you need, you can proceed with the trim. If you’re not sure what to do first, we got you. Remember to take your time to do it right, even if it’s cumbersome. With more practice, it will become much easier. Eventually, it will be like second nature to you.
- Thoroughly wash your beard with the cleanser of your choice. Take note to only wash the beard and not your whole face.
- Using the comb, brush through the beard to ensure there are no tangles. This is essential for getting an even look at the end.
- Start from the bottom and work your way up. If your beard is long, you can use the scissors first to trim the ends. If it’s short, use a razor to shape your neckline. How you choose to shape the bottom of the beard or neckline can make your face appear more sharp or rounded. Pro-tip, you can shave your neckline to form the illusion of a stronger jawline.
- If you’re done with the beard, proceed with your mustache. The length of the mustache can make your mouth look bigger or smaller, so trim it to a height that looks the most flattering for your face shape.
- Your top line or sideburns should be the last step. Try to make an even blend from the length of your beard to the hair on your head.
- If you have a longer beard, you can apply beard oil. It can condition your beard hair and will make it look fuller. However, it’s not recommended to use on shorter beards as they can clog your pores and cause breakouts. Instead, you can use a cream balm or aftershave as it can moisturize your beard and your skin at the same time.
After you’ve completed your trim, check all areas of your face to ensure you have no missed spots. Remember to carefully clean and put away your tools and tidy up your sink for any stray hairs.
Voila! Now you look extra polished with that shapely beard you have on.
Shaving Your Face
Whether you want to achieve a bare face or just you want to manscape a goatee or mustache, shaving is an effective way to get a clean look.
You can decide on the different tools you need depending on how short a shave you’re looking to do. Be sure to have high-quality shaving cream and a sharp razor. A razor needs to be replaced regularly, so it’s best to use a new one to ensure cleanliness and safety.
Along with your tools, make sure you also have a clean towel. This is ideally done on the sink as it’s easier to clean up. After you have done the necessary preparations, let’s begin!
- First, wet your face, or better yet, take a shower. A shave is best done after a hot shower because it allows your pores to open and your beard hairs to be softer for the razor.
- Take your shaving cream and lather it into your beard. Make sure you cover all the hairs in an even layer.
- Take the razor in your dominant hand and place it against your skin. Then, gently pull it in the direction of hair growth. The razor should be sharp enough that it will remove the hair without digging into your skin.
- Rinse the razor every couple of passes to make sure the blade is clean. A clean razor will give you a cleaner shave.
After you complete your shave, rinse your face well. Inspect for any spots that you might have missed. When you’re done, give it a splash of cold water to close up your pores. Apply an aftershave or moisturizer that suits your skin type to hydrate your skin and keep it healthy.
Shaving is a quick and inexpensive way of changing your appearance. You can experiment with different looks and find out what suits you best. If you don’t like how it turns out, you can always do a complete shave and grow back your beard. Either way, be patient.
Waxing is a more long-term way to get rid of hair. Because you’re removing the hair from its root, it takes longer to grow back. This is an excellent choice of hair removal method for men with thick or fast-growing hair who want to maximize their productive time. Just remember to seek professional help when dealing with sensitive, hard to reach areas, if you know what I mean.
Go ahead and prepare a sufficient amount of wax, a pre-wax cleanser, a baby powder or a similar drying agent, and a moisturizer. Note that there are different types of wax so you best explore each to see what suits you. Nonetheless, you need a good quality one, along with the other materials, to remove your hair properly with this method. We’ll get into exactly what to do at this point.
Pre-waxing, make sure your hair is an appropriate length. It needs to be a minimum of ¼ inch long. Wash your face well with your cleanser and dry thoroughly. Then, lightly dust the area with baby powder. The baby powder will make sure there is no oil left on the hair which will make sure that the wax sticks well. Outlined below are steps on waxing with a hard wax.
- Warm your wax. It shouldn’t become liquid, but like the thick consistency of peanut butter or honey.
- Apply the wax in the direction of hair growth, and wait for the wax to cool on your skin.
- Remove the wax in one quick motion against the direction of hair growth with your dominant hand if possible.
- Work in small sections around your skin until you’ve achieved your desired effect.
After you’ve finished waxing, apply a refreshing moisturizer with healing properties such as honey or aloe vera. You can remove stray hairs you might have missed with a pair of tweezers or a small razor.
Hair can take two to three weeks to grow back depending on your hair type, so this is absolute king if you don’t mind the pain. Just make sure to take care of your open pores post-wax.
Nose hair is something that you may not notice but everyone else will. Because your nose is the center of your face, any hair that sticks out from it is one of the first things people see when they look at you. This can definitely turn off a potential partner.
Your nose is such a sensitive area, so it is important to use the proper tools. Make sure you have a pair of nose trimming scissors or an electric trimmer, and access to a large mirror or preferably, a magnified one. The tips of the scissors should be rounded to prevent accidental poking inside your nostril and making it bleed. Ready?
- Check that the lighting where you’ll trim is bright enough so that you can see the hairs in your nose. Going in blind can result in an injury.
- Clean the inside of your nose by using a paper towel then rinse the area with water afterwards, then blow through it.
- Gently trim the noticeable hairs with the scissors or electric trimmer, careful not to cut any of the sensitive skin inside your nose.
- Blow your nose again to make sure there are no stray hairs left inside. Your nose might feel itchy because of the new sensation caused by having less hair.
- Don’t rinse with water. Although tempting, it can result in the hairs being flushed down your throat.
Because of the high risk of ingrown hairs and infection, waxing and plucking is not recommended. However, it does make it so that the hair takes much longer to grow back. If you want to try waxing or plucking, you can use an at-home kit or visit a professional.
It might be tempting to remove as much hair as possible. Instead, just focus on the areas that are thickest or most visible. Your nose hair is an important safety barrier for your nostrils so you need to keep a substantial amount. Eventually, the hair will grow back and you will need to repeat this process.
Armpit hair removal is recommended to men for a number of reasons. If you’re an athlete or someone who moves a lot during the day, armpit hair can cause a rash from excessive rubbing. If you tend to sweat more than others, armpit hair can make your deodorant less effective. Sometimes, complete armpit hair removal isn’t required, and a small trim will do.
There are a multitude of methods for armpit hair maintenance. Shaving, waxing, trimming, hair removal cream, and even epilating are all affordable methods you can do at home. Explore and see what works best for you. Once you have the tools you need, you can get started.
- Take a shower and wash your underarms. You can use a gentle soap or a cleanser that has no scent, since it is very sensitive skin.
- Trim the hair to a ¼ inch length. If you have no desire to completely remove the hair then you can stop here, but it will require more maintenance in the future. You might have to go back every few days to trim the hair again.
- If waxing or epilating, make sure the skin is properly dried. Add a small amount of baby powder to the skin to make sure there is no oil left in the hair.
- Apply the wax following the direction of growth. Then, apply wax strips. After a few minutes, remove the strips in a quick motion against the grain.
- If shaving, lather and apply a small amount of non-irritating shaving cream to your underarm. Shave in long, even strokes following the growth of the hair.
- Clean your tools. Either rinse the razor for a clean shave or use a new strip for waxing.
- A few more passes with the razor or wax might be needed to catch all the hairs.
After you’ve completed your hair removal, be sure to apply a moisturizer, cream, or healing balm to your armpits. You want to ensure that you protect your skin from growing ingrown hairs that would cause irritation. Make sure to gently exfoliate the area regularly with a soft wash cloth or soothing cleanser.
Armpit hair grows back quickly after shaving, using hair removal cream or trimming. It might need to be done daily. Waxing and epilating removes the hair from the root and can last much longer. Depending on your goals, you can choose which method you prefer. Having clean armpits allow many benefits from smelling fresh to looking polished.
Your eyes are the windows to the soul and your eyebrows are their curtains. Since your eyebrows are one of the biggest contributing factors to your facial expressions, well shaped eyebrows are important to maintain.
There are many ways to ensure your eyebrows are properly cared for. The same methods of waxing and shaving apply to your eyebrows, but there are also methods of plucking, threading, and even creams. They can be done professionally or at home.
The most efficient way to shape your eyebrows is by plucking and trimming. To start, make sure you have some small trimming scissors, good quality tweezers, a mirror and your go-to face wash or cleanser.
The first step in making your eyebrows complement your face is getting them trimmed. You’ll need a comb, cotton swab or eyelash wand and a small pair of scissors. Make sure you have a clean face and a well-lit location to see your eyebrows. Then, follow the instructions below.
- First, you want to brush your brows upward. Depending on the thickness of your hair, you can use either the comb, cotton swab, or eyelash wand. You can find all these tools at a drug store or supermarket.
- Use the small scissors to trim the hair that is pushed upwards. By trimming along the top of your eyebrow, you’ll keep a nice and even line that follows the natural shape of your brow.
- Brush out the brows normally. Make sure there are no areas that seem to be thicker than others.
Trimming the brows is a great way to get a cleaned up look. If you’re struggling with thicker brows, or possibly a unibrow, then you can take it to the next level with some brow shaping.
Shaping your brows may be required if you have an excess of hair and trimming isn’t enough to give you the effect you’re looking for. Since the shape of the brows can effectively change the shape of your face, it’s important to follow these steps carefully in order to prevent any kind of mishaps.
- First, let’s use the tweezers as a tool to map out your brow. Place the tweezers upright as a guide to align it from the beginning of your left brow, down to your left nostril. Your eyebrow should start at this point
- Next, place the tweezers from the side of your nose up to the arch of your brow. It should be passing the center of your eye.
- Lastly, place the tweezers from the side of your nose, to the outer corner of your eye. Where it meets the brow is the point where the tail should be.
- After mapping out where you need to tweeze, brush and clean your eyebrows to make sure they are prepped for tweezing.
- Take the tweezers and begin to remove excess hair to create your shape. Start at the beginning of your left brow and work your way to the tail. Keep in mind that it is best to under pluck, since removing more hair can make you look worse than having slightly too much.
- Repeat all steps with the right eyebrow. Also remember to remove excess hair that goes in between your eyebrows or above your nose bridge.
Once you’ve completed the shaping of the brows, take a moment to brush them out and examine them. Take a step back from the mirror and see how they look on your face as a pair. They should look almost identical. Don’t fret about them perfectly matching each other, it’s more natural for them to be slightly different. As the term goes, eyebrows are supposed to be sisters, not twins.
You will need to reshape or trim your eyebrows every two to four weeks, depending on your hair growth and the thickness of your hair. Try different shapes, either lengthening or shortening them, to see what suits your face best. Also, don’t hesitate to get the opinions of others.
Most guys would choose to leave their leg hair alone, but some trim them for many reasons. There are athletes who need to do it for convenience, while others want to have their muscular legs look more defined. Whatever your reasons are, we got your back.
There are multiple ways to remove leg hair. If you want a smooth finish, don’t shave. Use a hair removal cream instead, as it’s less likely for thick leg hair to become ingrown hairs and won’t cause rough stubble to rub against the skin.
Waxing is another option if you would like hair completely removed, but men usually opt to trim. By investing in a body grooming tool or trimmer, you’ll easily be able to maintain the hair on your legs at a reasonable length. Below are the steps on how to trim your leg hair using a trimmer.
- Select the setting on the tool to decide how long you want your leg hair to be.
- Make sure your legs are clean and wipe them off with a clean towel. This will prevent an uneven trim.
- Take the grooming tool and run it up and down your legs in long, even strokes. Be sure to wipe away the trimmed hair as you go.
- Once finished, examine both legs while standing to make sure no spots were missed. An uneven trim will look awkward and make you seem disheveled.
After trimming, apply a thin amount of body lotion or moisturizer to your legs. This will keep the hair soft and prevent it from becoming itchy. Be sure to check the back of your thighs for any missed spots as it can be the most difficult place to reach.
Trimming is a quick way to clean up the appearance of your legs. It will help prevent overheating in the summer and provide a more comfortable fit for your clothes.
Pubic Hair Trimming
Don’t try to shave your pubic hair without first consulting a professional. Shaving can cause irritation and result in a rash or extreme discomfort. There are other methods to remove hair entirely. To be safe, try a hair removal cream or trimming.
If you’re looking to give yourself a trim, the best way is with an electric trimmer or a small pair of trimming scissors. The trimmer is faster and creates a more even shave, while the scissors can be cheaper to have. When using either, make sure you’re in an area with lots of light to see and enough space to spread yourself out.
Make sure you focus your trimming on the pubic area. If you try to use a trimmer around the balls and shaft, the skin can catch in the machine. To avoid that, here’s how you can trim your pubes.
- Wash beforehand. Take a shower and make sure you’re completely dry afterwards. This way the trimmer or scissors have an easier time cutting the hair.
- Using the trimmer or scissors, trim your pubic area and make sure there’s an even length for all the hair. The scissors are just as effective as the trimmer if you can hold clumps of hair together and trim close to the skin.
- Wipe away the trimmed hair as you go to be able to see what you are doing. You do not want to accidentally nick any skin.
Once you’ve finished trimming, you can wipe the extra hairs away with a towel or give yourself another rinse. Apply a non-irritating, scent-free cream to the area. Allow the cream to get absorbed into your skin first before putting on your underwear so it doesn’t stick to the fabric.
Having groomed pubic hair is a huge confidence booster. Knowing that you look your best down there, whether someone will see it or not, can help you feel more neat and breezy down there. You can trim every once in a while every few days or up to a week.
Skincare for Men
Proper skin care keeps you looking fresh and rejuvenated. It prevents aging as well as protects and heals the skin from sun damage and other free radicals. Skincare also prevents acne and maintains a healthy balance of oils and chemicals on your skin. Here’s how you can do it.
Washing your face is the first step in a proper skin care routine. A face wash or cleanser removes stray dirt and excess oil from your face. Using a face wash should be done at least once a day.
A good face wash helps prevent acne and skin discoloration. Choose a wash or cleanser that suits your skin type and your problem areas. There are types of face wash that target acne-prone and oily skin, and some for dry and flaky skin. Read the packaging of the wash you want to purchase to check if it’s right for you. You can also read reviews on the internet to make sure it works well.
Find a cleanser that suits you at a drugstore, health store or online. By reading the intended use and the ingredients, you’ll have a better understanding of what the cleanser focuses on and how to use it.
Toners are used to balance your skin’s PH levels. It’s usually optional for most skincare routines but it can provide an extra level of protection from the outdoors and heal your skin from sun exposure. You can choose a toner with active ingredients like rose water or witch hazel to help your skin recover from its exposure to pollutants throughout the day.
A toner is either in a liquid or mist form. Because it is so thin, it should be applied after the face wash and before any thicker products like serums or moisturizers. Toners can also get rid of the extra dirt that the face wash did not get to remove.
A serum is a high concentration of specific ingredients packed into a base. You only need to apply a small amount on the face, and it’s ideally applied after your toner and before your moisturizer.
Choose a serum based on what benefits you’re looking for. Some are for lightening, others to minimize pores and some used to heal pimple scars. Serums are often used for anti-aging and are great for skin that is a bit older or has a more rough texture. Be sure to research about good serums for your skin type as some can irritate the skin because of its powerful ingredients.
This is a crucial step after cleaning your face because it maintains the moisture barrier, meaning your face won’t dry out after washes.
Your moisturizer may be thick or thin, depending on your skin type. If you have oily skin, then a thin moisturizer is better. A heavy one is for dry skin. Whoever said that oily skin and moisturizers don’t pair well was wrong. This belief and practice will result in your face creating more oil to make up for the lack of moisture which can lead to acne and fine lines.
Any moisturizing product can cater to sensitive or normal skin. These are usually found in drug stores or health supply stores wherever. Whether you have sensitive or normal skin, try to avoid moisturizers with added essential oils as these may contain irritants.
Face masks are available in the forms of sheet masks, clay masks, and chemical masks. These shouldn’t be used everyday, but rather as a treatment for your skin every few days or weekly.
Choose a mask based on the benefits you would like to see on your skin. By regularly using a mask, you’ll notice a gradual change in the health of your skin as it absorbs the benefits over time. Masks deliver healthy ingredients to your face and can even provide extra moisture.
Beard Balms and Oils
A beard takes up a large surface area on your face and so beard hair rubbing against your skin is unavoidable. This irritation can result in acne, dry skin or red skin, or even wrinkles.
A balm is like a thick leave-in conditioner that you apply to the beard to hydrate it. Similarly, beard oil provides moisture but it’s thinner than a balm. It’s best for thick hairs but can also be applied with thinner ones, limited to two to three drops. Over-applying oils will make your skin oily and more prone to acne.
When choosing a beard balm or oil, it is necessary to consider both your beard’s hair type and your skin type. If you have coarse hair but sensitive skin, you won’t be able to use complex products because it will result in skin irritation.
By keeping your beard hydrated and smooth with a balm or oil, it will be easier to style and maintain. It can also smell pleasant, if you opt for added fragrance, and will make you feel like the sophisticated man that you are.
Sunscreen is the most crucial of all skin care products and should be worn every day. Even when it’s an overcast day and you don’t see the sun, the skin damage caused by solar radiation builds up over time. By not applying sunscreen, you will acquire premature wrinkles and discoloration.
It comes in different SPFs and has specific formulas designed for all the skin types. Choose a sunscreen that matches yours and make sure that it’s waterproof. Even if you choose one with a high SPF, you will still need to reapply every two to four hours to make sure you’re still getting the protection throughout the day.
Although applying sunscreen might seem like it takes too much time, you will thank us in the future.
The Importance of Hygiene
Taking the time to look after yourself and maintain your physical health through grooming will result in you feeling better about yourself. With this, you’re able to enjoy life and look at things in a positive light, allowing you to handle difficult situations more easily.
It’s good to remember why you’re putting all the effort into having good hygiene. While it’s easy to decide to take a day off and not do your grooming routine, you’ll quickly find that skipping a day can result in skipping a week or more. Hygiene is a habit that needs to be maintained to keep you looking and feeling good.
Feeling and looking clean is a confidence booster. By knowing that you put in effort to look your best, you feel more self-assured in your daily interactions with others. And when other people see your likeability and positivity, they are more willing to work or spend time with you. This extra charisma makes life easier for any gender. Everyone wants better relationships an overall performance.
Frequently Asked Questions about Manscaping 101: A Complete Guide to Male Grooming
How much should a man manscape?
How much you manscape can be based on your personal or your partner’s preferences. As long as your manscaping provides a clean and irritation-free lifestyle, then manscape to your heart’s content!
How should a man groom his private area?
If you want to go further than your pubic hair and take care of the hair around your junk, make sure that you are using the right tools. Also, consult a professional.
The skin around your balls and shaft is very thin, and can easily get caught in between trimmers or scissors. Be sure to pull the skin carefully when attempting to groom these areas and don’t press the trimmers or scissors directly against it.
Is it easy to manscape?
Manscaping is quick and easy once you’ve gotten enough practice. Be careful in the beginning and take your time to make sure you know how to achieve the look you’re aiming for. Eventually, you will find your preferences in styling your hairscapes and find the easiest way to achieve them.
A Final Word From The Trending Man
In order to live a healthy and well-balanced lifestyle, you need to keep your body hygiene in top shape. Be sure to maintain a habit of daily grooming to keep yourself up to standard.
Manscaping is different for everybody and the methods elaborated here are just some of the few ways to do it. One thing’s for sure though. By being well-groomed, your body will be healthier, your interactions will get better, your confidence will skyrocket and you’ll be even more ready to take on the world.