One of the most difficult parts of aging is how it starts to show. We go from feeling confident in our looks to worrying about wrinkles. The good news is, looking younger can be achieved, and there are ways you can maintain that youthful glow without aesthetic treatments.
By having a young appearance, your good looks shine through and your charisma increases. It then makes you especially attractive and catches the attention of anyone you might admire.
This how to look younger guide for men will definitely help keep their A-game on through the years.
What Are the Qualities of a Youthful Look?
To stay looking youthful despite life’s burdens, first pay attention to what are the features of a young-looking face and what features to avoid.
For one, you need a strong jaw and firm neckline. Double chin and less skin elasticity is a sign of aging. You also need high, prominent cheekbones. Fuller lips and generally a fuller face are also good. Pay attention to the quality of your skin as well. Make sure that the largest organ of your body and your outermost layer looks as young as you feel— clear and smooth.
The triangularity of your face is also an indicator of age. Generally, a younger-looking face has the part of the face heavy and the bottom light. Then, as people get older, this inverts. Do get rid of excess fat and keep your collagen supply up to stay radiant.
How to Make Yourself Look Younger?
Looking younger isn’t just about having younger-looking features, it’s a way of living. The way you dress, act, and move in general can affect how people perceive you.
No matter your age, fashion plays a crucial role in keeping you looking young and put together. Nice-fitting clothes and maintaining a clean appearance make you seem much more presentable than wearing baggy or ill-fitting ones. Although, working out, taking vitamins, skincare, and generally taking care of the body is mostly what makes a person look younger.
A youthful look is also a sign of good health. Staying active and having a great mindset can positively affect how your body works. Have you noticed that every time you’re sick, you look frail and weak, making you look old? Exactly. Staying healthy both physically and mentally can slow down the aging process, increase your self-confidence and lead you to a longer life.
If you want more tips in-depth, read on because this article will give just that.
The food we eat has an impact on our health. Being healthy means your body is working at its peak performance and to achieve that, here are some types of food to incorporate into your diet for that youthful glow.
- Fish, especially salmon and other very fatty fish, have a large amount of healthy fats that also provide anti-aging effects to your skin. As mentioned above, eat fish at least 3 times a week and you’ll be gaining these benefits.
- Vegetables, in general, are one of the foods which should be in our diet as much as possible. By consuming your daily intake of vegetables not only are you feeding your body with something healthy instead of junk, but they contain proteins that protect your skin from aging agents like the sun.
- Avocados like fish, have healthy fats and are packed with vitamins and minerals that are needed to keep a healthy lifestyle and they are even able to help repair damaged genetic material. By consuming avocados regularly, you’ll notice your skin eventually looking more young and fresh.
- Bell pepper has a large amount of vitamin C and antioxidants which we already know are a huge requirement in keeping ourselves looking young. They produce collagen that helps reduce wrinkles and keep skin elastic, so eating them regularly helps preserve youth.
- Blueberries have specific anti-aging antioxidants and are also low in sugar. They are a quick fix if you are craving something sweet and want to take advantage of their health effects.
- Broccoli is the one vegetable that most people tend to avoid. However, broccoli is practically a superfood containing almost every vitamin and mineral needed to give your body strength, which in turn keeps it producing the necessary requirements to look healthy and young.
These are just some of the various kinds of food you can incorporate into your meals to reverse the clock. Keeping in mind that as long as your diet mainly consists of healthy food, eating the junk you enjoy can be done in moderation.
In addition to what we eat every day, we should also consider what we drink. Without realizing it, you can be consuming excessive amounts of sugar and calories through sodas and energy drinks. These unhealthy drinks will tire your body and keep it from performing its best, resulting in a tired, aging look. Here are some drinks to consider before you reach for a soda can.
- Water is what everyone talks about when it comes to top drink choices. Because water takes up 60 percent of our body, being dehydrated keeps it from working optimally. Drinking water helps prevent wrinkles and maintains our health. The average man should be drinking at least 3.7 liters of water a day, so invest in a large water bottle to help keep track.
- Coffee, although containing high amounts of caffeine, is a better alternative to an energy drink and is enjoyed by most men. Whether you drink it black or with additives, coffee has a strong anti-inflammatory effect and keeps the skin looking and feeling refreshed.
- Wine, like many things, can be very beneficial in moderation. One to two glasses of wine a day aids in reducing inflammation and can help prevent diseases. Reduced inflammation slims the face and gives it fewer signs of aging.
- Green tea also fights inflammation and slows down the aging process. It is light on caffeine if you prefer something that isn’t as strong as coffee but still provides all the benefits that come with consuming it.
- Coconut water is rich in healthy minerals. It is hydrating and promotes the regrowth of cells, and contains numerous electrolytes that help replenish your body. These benefits are available in just drinking it once in a while, so just a few times a week will do if you’re not a fan of the taste.
- Milk is what we’ve all been told to drink since we were young, as it provides healthy protein that will aid in the growth of our bodies. Milk has retinol and vitamin D, which both restore skin and prevent anti-aging.
The food and drink we put in our bodies is what fuels us and keeps us active and feeling rejuvenated. By taking into consideration the food and drinks you consume specific to your health and appearance, you’ll be looking younger in no time.
Working out and doing regular exercise is one of the most effective ways to look younger. Men, on average, should be getting at least 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise per day, such as brisk walking. Of course, there are other ways to incorporate exercise into your daily lifestyle, and different methods you can use based on your preference.
Forms of Exercise
Cardiovascular exercise, more commonly known as cardio, is any form of activity that increases your heart rate and promotes breathing. Cardio improves your metabolism and helps maintain a healthy heart and lungs. Cardio activities can include walking and running, but really cardio will apply to any activity as long as it keeps you moving and increases your heart rate.
Weight lifting is also a good form of exercise, whether it’s less weights with many reps or more weights with little reps. It can gradually tone your muscles, making you look fit. At the gym or with your own weights at home, lifting weights is an activity that can be very beneficial. Having more muscle than fat also improves skin elasticity and muscular strength.
Yoga is a strong contender as an exercise that can reverse your age as it combines physical and mental benefits. You can lose up to 15 percent of your muscle mass per decade as you age, but doing yoga will help tone your body and can result in more muscle mass, better balance, and flexibility. You can start by attending your local yoga class or even watch beginner’s yoga on Youtube. This is also a good way of relieving stress from your body, helping you sleep better.
Biking is another excellent way to look younger as it combines a significant amount of cardio and strength. It improves your muscles and keeps your body active, maintaining your immune system. A stationary bicycle will do, but cycling outdoors lets you enjoy nature as you work on your body, just put safety first and remember to have fun. All in all, exercises can be done either alone or with friends, so grab a buddy and start looking younger today!
Vitamins and supplements are an important part of our lifestyle as they keep the inner functions of our body in balance. Here are a few types you might want to consider if you haven’t already included them in your routine.
Vitamin D, C, E, and K are all vitamins that your body needs, and with the proper amount, these can make you look younger. Besides better bodily functions like stronger bones and a better immune system, they improve dark spots, wrinkles and repair body tissues. You can buy them at the drugstore or your local supermarket.
Vitamins aren’t just important for your skin but also your hair. Our hair, like any other cell, needs vitamins to grow. Because hair is one of the fastest-growing tissues in our body, it needs a significant amount. Vitamins to promote hair growth include vitamin A, B, C, D, iron, zinc, and proteins. By consuming these vitamins you’ll be replenishing your body of any deficiencies that would prevent hair growth.
Supplements can be often overlooked but are just as important as vitamins. A lot of supplements have anti-aging properties and can decrease, sometimes even reverse, the aging process. Collagen, crocin, theanine, and garlic are all-natural supplements found in food and spices that can be added to your diet and will keep you looking and feeling younger.
Copper is a well-rounded supplement that aids in hair growth and reduces gray hair by increasing energy production for red blood cells and producing melanin. A deficiency in copper can increase hair loss and quicken the process of graying. You can find copper in peanuts, almonds, and lentils.
With vitamins and supplements incorporated into your daily life routine, not only will you be feeling younger but you’ll be looking like it too!
Your skin is the largest organ of your body and is the number one barrier to protect you from infection and disease. As you age, that barrier becomes tired and dull. Skincare helps the turnover of dead skin cells and maintains a healthy glow and youthful appearance, including reducing wrinkles.
Your skin needs special care with different products for different uses. Each product will target a specific area, so it’s best to get a good idea of what kind of skin you have and what goal you would like to accomplish. Here are a few essentials to keep your face healthy and clean.
- Cleanser. Before applying anything to your face, you need to remove the dirt and debris you’ve acquired throughout the day. Choose a cleanser that is easy to use, and that fits your skin type. You also need to identify if your skin type is dry, oily, or a combination of the two.
- Toner. A toner balances the PH levels in your skin, reduces the appearance of pores, refreshes the skin, and can aid with hydration in your face. It can be applied as a spray or with a cotton round.
- Serums. Serums are optional and can be applied before or after moisturizer depending on their thickness. Try a serum that works for your skin type, and has some essential vitamins or supplements that help prevent aging.
- Moisturizer. Moisturizers maintain the moisture in your skin, keeping it hydrated and wrinkle-free. It is usually applied at the end since it’s a little on the heavier side.
- Creams. If desired, you can apply an eye or lip cream that will add an extra bit of moisture and vitamins to those sensitive parts of your face. They are the most prone to wrinkles and should be maintained carefully.
Sunscreen. The last step in your skincare routine should be sunscreen. SPF should be 30 or higher and applied even if you have no intention of leaving the house. The best method for keeping wrinkles at bay is by protecting your skin from the harmful rays of the sun.
As you apply products to your skin, try to apply the lightest items first and increase in thickness as you go. A proper skincare routine keeps the skin from gaining any wrinkles and will even help them fade. Skincare is a commitment and needs to be done every day, so a consistent routine will benefit your skin the most.
Stress is a factor we are constantly dealing with. Whether it’s personal or work-related, stress can come and go like waves, or be chronic. Avoiding and dealing with stress is one of the most effective ways of looking and feeling young, as it can ruin all the hard work you put into maintaining your health and youthfulness.
Stress produces a hormone called cortisol which breaks down collagen and elastin in your skin. Collagen and elastin are the proteins that maintain the health of your skin and prevent wrinkles, so without them will result in an increase in fine lines. By avoiding stress you are able to prevent the onset of wrinkles in your face and body.
Being stressed can cause you to indulge in unhealthy eating habits, irregular sleep, and an overall lack of motivation in life. It is important that we identify what things stress us so that we know what to work on. If it’s work-related stress, do remember to take a break at times, we are not robots. Time management, an organized schedule, and regular stretching to ease bodily tension can work wonders. If it’s personal, like a family problem or your own issues, remember to reach out to a friend.
Having someone to communicate with during stressful times is a great way to vent out the built-up tension and they can possibly contribute to solving your problem. Sometimes all we need is a listening ear to feel heard. But if it can’t be helped, you can also try therapy only if you have the means to do so. All the effort you put into looking young and keeping your energy can be lost by the onset of stress. By avoiding stress and learning how to maintain it, you’ll not only benefit your body but your mental health as well.
Fashion is what makes us appear as the person we want to be. You don’t dress like a plumber to work in an office, you don’t dress like an officer to work in the sewers, and you don’t dress like a senior if you want to look young!
It is essential that the clothes you wear fit you properly. Have a properly fitting wardrobe by shopping for the right clothing or better yet, have your outfits tailored to fit your body. We all come in different shapes and sizes, so don’t fret if you don’t fit the average body type. Just make sure you choose ones that feel and look great on you, in no time you’ll be looking neat and well dressed.
The style of your clothing is as important as the fit. Besides your jacket collection or your different-colored polo shirts, make sure you own clothing that is timeless classics. A pair of jeans that fit right never goes out of style. Crew neck shirts are versatile and always popular. Shoes that are closed-toe and in neutral colors are classic and match everything, all while being comfortable to wear.
Bright colors are an excellent way to look and feel young. By wearing a vibrant shirt or accessory like red, blue, or yellow, you are giving off an air of youthfulness and will help you both feel and look young.
Your fashion sense doesn’t just apply to the clothes you wear. Your hair is a perfect example of something that can make you look younger or older. A well-kept, even trim with a properly shaved beard will make you look younger as opposed to long hair and an unkempt face.
Make sure to take into consideration the shape of your face. There are different hairstyles that flatter different face shapes and finding one that is right for you will make sure you have that attractive, put-together, and youthful vibe.
It’s important to maintain good hygiene, so freshening and cleaning yourself up will not only look good but will ward off illness as well. Be sure to have a nice, even shave, a not too overbearing deodorant, and most especially, clean teeth. Looking, feeling, and smelling clean keeps you young and fresh.
You may still follow your fashion tastes by wearing what you want but you can step it up by adding classic pieces with a touch of color. With this, the aura you give off will have everyone guessing your age up to 10 years younger. Maintaining your appearance a little can go a long way.
Physiology is a form of biology within science that tries to explain how the different parts in your body carry out your functions and affect you. There are numerous things you can do consciously or subconsciously that will affect your body and make it look less young.
Your posture is one of the ways that your body shows its age. By allowing bad posture, your body is hunching over and creates the illusion of age, and the illusion will over time become a hard reality if you continue. Eventually, your body can rest in a permanent hunch, so be sure to stand up straight.
- Squinting is another trait that we often overlook, but is doing damage to our appearance both immediately and in the long run. Squinting creates wrinkles by creating a line in the skin over time. The more you squint especially in the sun, the deeper the wrinkles will become, so be sure to wear your glasses or shades.
- Taking blistering hot showers has a direct effect on your body and aging as it dries out your skin, forming wrinkles in return. It’s not required to shower in ice-cold water, but keeping the heat to a minimum prevents dried-out skin.
- Pursing your lips, whether it’s in confusion, to drink from a straw or whistle, creates stress and grooves on the skin around your mouth. This results in an increase in wrinkles and the appearance of age. By avoiding the need to often purse your lips, the skin around your mouth will look a lot more relaxed.
- Picking at the skin, whether it be on your face or body, has a negative effect on its ability to heal itself. By picking at loose or dry skin, you can create scarring and possibly permanent damage that will show age.
Habits we’ve formed through our lives can impact how we look as we age. By making sure you’re performing habits that maintain the health of your body, you will maintain your youth and look years younger.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are we so obsessed with looking younger?
There can be many reasons why a man desires to look young. However, it seems there are two main reasons that surface because of previous social interactions, and that would be ageism and attention.
Ageism is when someone is receiving prejudice because of their age, and this can be in the work environment, in your home, or even out in public. When you are judged for how you do things or how you act because of your age, it can make you want to look younger than you actually are.
The other more common reason would be attention. Feeling like you are no longer receiving attention from your friends, coworkers, or partner because you are no longer considered attractive due to your age can be very discouraging and harmful.
You can want to look younger for many reasons, and although the most common two appear to be negative, the positive benefits of looking young outweigh it. Wanting to look younger is a personal choice, and if it means taking better care of your body then go ahead with your journey.
How to maintain our younger self?
Looking young is a commitment, and maintenance is obligatory. Look for the motivation to start your journey in taking care of your body. Set aside a routine for meals and exercise, and follow through with the schedule. Discipline is key in maintaining your routine so make sure you have that as well.
Once you get the hang of it, these activities won’t feel like a chore and will just be a part of your daily habit.
Do we really need to look young?
Whether you want to put in the effort to look young or decide to age gracefully, how you look is your own choice. No one has the right to judge your appearance, and you are allowed to be who you wish to be. That being said, both looking young and choosing to age are both valid choices in living your life, as long as you don’t harm yourself or others, you do you.
A Final Word From The Trending Man
Looking younger requires you to have a healthy and active lifestyle. By living your life with care, you are not only looking younger, but you’re also living longer. These are the tips we’ve provided for you to take advantage of. But in the end, what matters is that you happily live your life the best way you can and that is the greatest tip that we can give you.